In an industry under pressure, how do freelance translators thrive?
Top freelance translator challenges and how to tackle them.
“An industry under pressure”- this is a statement we hear a lot, particularly in the localization industry. Demand for localization is increasing exponentially thanks to digitization, social media, and the undeniable truth that customers are more likely to buy products and services marketed in their own language. In fact, 89% said as much in the recent ‘RWS Unlocked 2023 Report’. It’s true, the localization industry is thriving- it grew by 11.75% in 2021 and is predicted to grow another 7.5% over the next 5 years- but can it sustain this level of demand?
Trados recently conducted a worldwide survey analyzing the state of the localization industry, the results from which have now been published in our Translation Technology Insights 2023 report. We wanted to better understand the pressures you are facing and offer insight into what can be done to alleviate it.
We received a fantastic response- over 1,400 freelance translators participated from over 100 countries. Here I’ll uncover some of our key findings for freelance translators, reveal where you’re most under pressure and show you what Trados can do to help.
Work smarter not harder.
- In 2020, 64% had more than 10 years of experience; 19% less than 5 years.
- In 2023, 55% have more than 10 years of experience; 29% less than 5 years.
Employing the right technology can help.
- 72% acknowledge you need to improve your processes.
- 69% want to improve the way they work.
- 33% plan to invest in translation technology in the next year
Cloud perceptions are improving.
- 60% believe cloud-based solutions allow for much greater flexibility (up 8%)
- 45% think cloud-based tools are as productive as desktop-based tools (up 10%)
- 45% would be happy to use the cloud to deal with confidential files (up 14%)
How can Trados help?
- 70% want us to make technology easy to use.
- 49% want greater levels of product support.
- 45% asked for more/better training.
- Only 7% want new product features.
- New webinar series – we're in the process of revamping our free monthly webinars to provide you with fresh new content. 56% of translators stated they didn’t have enough time to make changes to meet the challenges they have. As a result, we’ve designed our webinars to be shorter, more demo-focused and will include a Q&A, so they’re more engaging and easier to fit into your day. If you’re a beginner, check out our Translation Productivity 101 series to learn the basics of working with Trados. For intermediate users we have created a 201 series, designed for those looking to hone their skills. All webinar recordings will also be available here on demand.
- RWS Community forums – discuss any issues you may have, ask questions and debate trends in our online community forums. Our communities are monitored by Trados employees, as well as your peers.
- E-learning courses available – if you’re looking for more formal training, we also offer e-learning courses. At the end of the training, you can take the certification exam to prove your knowledge.
- Trados Resource Hub - here you can access all Trados resources, whether you’re looking for product videos, articles, webinars or more.
- Trados Studio comes with cloud capabilities - now you can choose whether you want to work on the desktop or in the cloud environment, or a combination of both. You have ultimate flexibility to work in the way that suits you.
- RWS AppStore - download apps to customize your processes and personalize your translation environment. Choose which functionality you need and install them at the click of a button.
- Improve existing functionality - we've shifted gears. Rather than focusing solely on adding new features into Trados, we’ve decided to place more attention on enhancing what we already have, so that the tools you know and love work more efficiently. Learn what improvements we’ve made based on your feedback in Trados Studio 2022, for example, here.