With Studio being used worldwide in over 180 countries, our users really are part of a huge translator community. To help you to quantify this even more, over a staggering 6 billion words flow through translation memories in Studio on a monthly basis.
You might be one of the thousands of people working with Studio daily, but have you ever thought about how your peers are using it?
Through our Customer Experience Improvement Program we can tell you this! We are looking at how our users work with Studio to monitor industry trends such as machine translation adoption and how new innovations and existing features are used. This data helps us develop the next releases of Studio, along with all of the other research we do with focus groups, surveys and your ideas on the SDL Community.
Importantly, you can be sure that no personal information is collected at all, the data collected is completely anonymous without any identity, content, translation memory and termbase information.
This blog gives you an insight to features currently being used by our user community – some of which you might not know you have at your fingertips! So here is some of the data we have been monitoring this November.
Studio supports over 50 files types ensuring you can work on any project that comes your way. We are frequently releasing new files types, recently introducing Adobe FrameMaker and Photoshop file filter, email MSG formats and XML2 file filter, to name a few.
We have made translating files as easy as possible by giving you numberous options for how they are handled, including the choice to include or exclude embedded content, notes, comments, hidden content etc. It probably won’t be a surprise that 31% of files translated in Studio are Microsoft Word files. However, a question we often get asked by customers is ‘can I translate PDFs in Studio’? The answer is yes you can, in fact 11% of files translated in Studio are PDFs. Studio has been designed to make it simple for you to translate both scanned and editable PDFs.
Information on how to translate PDFs in Studio can be found here.
The majority of users, 45% to be precise, use the ‘project wizard’ to start their translation projects, whilst 29% of users are using the ‘single document’ process. In addition, Studio 2021 has also introduced a new way to create translation projects online with Studio’s cloud companion, SDL Trados Live. You now have the flexibility to create cloud-based projects that can then be seamlessly translated online using the SDL Online Editor or Studio’s desktop editor. We are starting to see a trend towards this way of working with 2% of Studio 2021 users already using SDL Trados Live to create projects!
Watch this video on how to create cloud projects below.
Thanks to the new AppStore integration, over 150 apps are available to download from within Studio. Studio 2021 users have been making the most of this, with 2,340 apps downloaded using the SDL AppStore integration in November. On an upward trend, now 25% of apps are downloaded through this integration, whilst the other 75% have been downloaded online through the browser. Some of the top downloaded apps include functionality to easily translate subtitles (now in the top 20 files types translated in Studio!), fine-tune number verification and split or merge SDLXLIFF files.
Watch this video on how to use the SDL AppStore Integration below.
Fragment matches from your translation memory ensure you are always getting the maximum results from your TM. In November, Studio users benefited from 250 million fragment match words, as well as 120 million concordance words!
This technology also corrects TM fuzzy matches, with nearly 20 million words being repaired in a month. Something we are really excited about is that now Studio 2021 improves upon this feature even more by automatically inserting tags into your translation segments. This helps you to save considerable time and ensures your formatting is correctly replicated from the source through to translated document.
Watch a video on how to automatically insert tags below.