What is terminology management?
Most companies use an increasing number of industry- or organization-specific words and phrases which need to be accurately stored, shared and translated. These ‘terms’ can be anything from product names to marketing taglines to technical words.
Terminology management is the process of identifying, storing and managing company, customer or product terminology that needs to be translated in a specific way. It allows you to achieve effective and accurate translations by organizing these terms with a clear set of rules for their usage. This ensures that the correct term is used within a translation.
More about terminology management
- Automatic term search: Termbases begin by automatically scanning the source sentences of a text. This search is finely tuned to pinpoint relevant and industry-specific terms that are crucial for accurate translation.
- Term suggestions: Once the automatic search is complete, the system presents a list of term suggestions. These suggestions encompass the specific words, phrases or expressions that are recognized as pertinent to the content being translated.
- Effortless insertion: Translators can then easily integrate the suggested target terms into the translation. This seamless insertion is facilitated by a user-friendly interface and keyboard shortcuts.
- Enhanced translation quality: Incorporating established and standardized terminology, termbases contribute to the overall quality and consistency of translations. The use of precise terms eliminates guesswork and maintains a uniform tone throughout the translated material.
- Consistency in term usage: When using terminology management, you are creating a standardized set of terms that are approved for use in your content. This consistency ensures that all your communication materials, whether they are documents, websites or marketing collateral, adhere to the same terminology guidelines. This prevents confusion, ambiguity and potential misunderstandings among your audience. Consistency in terminology usage also helps reinforce your brand identity and messaging across different platforms and languages.
- Enhanced translation quality: By maintaining a well-defined terminology database, you provide translators with a clear and accurate reference point. This helps them maintain the intended meaning and context during the translation process. When translators have access to approved terms and phrases, they can focus more on the nuances of language and cultural adaptation, ultimately leading to higher-quality translations.
- Centralized management for streamlined processes: Centralized terminology streamlines the management of termbases, making them readily available to all stakeholders involved in the content creation and translation process. With a centralized system, updates and changes to terminology can be efficiently implemented, ensuring that all versions of content remain consistent and up to date.
- Time and effort savings: When terminology is not managed effectively, inconsistencies can lead to time-consuming rework and revisions. Translators might need to go back and correct terms, resulting in a loss of productivity. Terminology management significantly reduces the likelihood of such rework by providing translators with pre-approved terms. This reduces the back-and-forth communication between translators, reviewers and content creators, ultimately saving time and effort.